Friday, May 7, 2010



Yes I love reading and I am fortunate enough to be able to do it almost anywhere or at any time.  I don't have a Kindle yet but I am lucky enough to have a very nice smart phone.  A Nokia E71 and for those of you who know about these things, the Nokia E71 can have MobiPocket Reader running on it which opens a whole world of books that can be read on it.

My daughter, Kaleela, has just bought herself an Amazon Kindle and she is so happy with it.  It is not the Kindle DX as shown in the picture above but it is still a Kindle and makes it possible to read many books.  One of the great things about it is that the books I read on my phone can be read on the Kindle as well.  One day, when I am rich and famous, I will get an Amazon Kindle DX and put all my books on it and I will be able to benefit from
  • the larger screen,
  • the clearer view of the text,
  • the ability to increase the font size to compensate for failing eyesight
  • the reader function that will read the book for me
  • the easy menus
  • the convenience of a dedicated reading device
  • a much larger selection of books through Amazon
For a person who likes to read and is concerned about the natural environment and all the trees that are disappearing from the depleted forests, the Amazon Kindle is the way to go!
Some people would say, "But  what about the Apple iPad or this or that other make?".  My response is that any device that gives the benefit of easy reading is good and an asset to the person.
I know that there are many who say that the plastic, components and batteries of these devices are far more harmful to the environment than the trees that are killed to print books!  Lets all be sensible and responsible and not embrace new technologies because of antiquated thinking, attitudes and ideas.  Where would we be if people like Martin Luther, John Wesley and others had not persisted in following their ideals?  Still walking around in rough, dirty scratchy clothes dragging our women and children behind by the hair?

I am so glad I can read and that so many others can too!
I give thanks to the Lord that there are authors, artists and producers who improve our quality of life by their contributions.

Whatever the way it is done, reading is GOOD.  It can be from books, from media or from the latest electronic devices but reading is good.  Fiction, no fiction, factual, fairy tales, poems or prose, there is something for everyone and everyone should have access to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment