Monday, May 10, 2010

A year in a day

I had my birthday on the 8th. It was a very quiet day.  No parties, few people, few gifts.  Pretty much the way I like it.  I got to see my grandson, Clarke.  He is almost a year old and such a bundle of pleasure and joy.  At his young age he is already learning to assert himself.  He is so cute to watch as he experiments with various items and things.  He loves to test his power and strength and it is awesome to watch him as he tries to crush things in his hands.  He exerts himself to the extent that his arms shake and tremor as he focuses all his strength on his fingers and hand in his efforts to crush the item.

One of the things I hate about birthdays is the questions that get asked.
  • "How does it feel to be a year older?"
  • "What did you get for your birthday?"
  • "You look so good for your age!"
If you think of it, a birthday is just another day!  Why would you feel any different on your birthday than you did on the day before?  It is just the completion of another year which has been lived one day at a time!

I was given a copy of Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit as a present.  It is a great version of Windows and has the Windows Media Center which I like to use.  I have a vast collection of music and some videos.  My PC has a tuner card as well.  Windows Media Center allows me to be able to have easy access to all of this media.

A 64 bit version of Windows 7 is a bit of an overkill as my computer only has 2 GBytes of RAM (DDR2 800).  I am not too impressed with WMC's ability to catalog and manage large libraries but, once done, it gives easy access to it all - if you know how to operate the remote control!

I hope that by using it I will be able to get some good benefits from the HD capabilities of my new 23 inch Samsung monitor.

Another benefit I will get from the Windows OS on the PC is managing my large collection of eBooks, the most of which are in MobiPocket format.  It will make transferring them to my Nokia E71 easier and Kaleela will have access to them as well on her Kindle she recently purchased.

No comments:

Post a Comment