Monday, May 10, 2010

Back to the Reading theme...

After moving away from the original theme it will most likely be a good idea to get back to reading and the joys of doing it.

John Grisham

I have had the pleasure of reading many of John Grisham's books.  For the most part his novels are interesting and absorbing.  His stories are obviously well researched.  While reading them I often find myself asking if things like this can really happen - I question of people can really be as he portrays them.   As much as I know it is fiction, I feel there is a lot of truth in the fiction and that makes it even more compelling to read!

The Brethren is a very good example of this.  It is centered around how crime can and is used to promote greed and allegiance to an organisation that is rotten from the top down.

Throughout his books I find myself eagerly reading and wanting the 'good guys' to be victorious.  I am disappointed

As good as the books may be, I found that after reading a few, some aspects of the plot were almost predictable.  The plot proceeds with considerable tension and is drawn out for the majority of the book only to come to a rather sudden stop in the last pages of the book.  It is almost like he realises that he could go on for ever but he needs to keep it to a certain number of pages so the end is rather rushed.

In spite of that, I did enjoy reading the books and would start a new story immediately on finishing the current one.

Law forms the basis of most of his novels I have read with Skipping Christmas being an exception.  Like a number of his other books, this was made into an amusing and light hearted movie as Christmas With the Kranks.

No comments:

Post a Comment