Friday, May 7, 2010

Other books I have read

Back to my ramblings about books that I have read....

I was saying that I have enjoyed reading from a young age.  One of my friends at school, Geof Whitehead, was an avid reader of westerns and Dick Francis novels.  If I remember correctly, he could read very fast and would finish books in a very short time.  I envied him at the time.  His ability to rush through a book from begining to end was amazing.  He enjoyed horses a lot too and so Dick Francis was a favourite author of his.

Although I anvied Geof's speed reading, I have learned to enjoy my slower pace as I feel I spend more time in the book.  I feel I am more able to appreciate and enjoy the experiences the characters of the books are having.

I went through the 'older childrens' books like
  • The Hardy Boys
  • Books by R. Crompton - I think they were about a boy called William and the pranks he got up to - More William is an example of this.
  • Biggles Books set in the 2nd World War. About flying in Spitfires. By Captain W E Johns













I hated the secret seven and purposely stayed away from anything by Enid Blyton!














For relaxation I enjoyed reading the TIN TIN and Asterix picture stories and risked becoming seriously under-developed and having my growth stunted by reading them!  My parents felt that they did not require any intelligence to read and left nothing to the imagination!  I would get a thorough scolding if found reading them and wo unto me if I was doing it while I should have been more diligently devoted to homework or other more worthwhile activities like mowing the lawns!

Life as a teenage school going boy was at times quite challenging.  While encouraged to read good books I was also counciled to make constructive use of my time and not to lounge around doing nothing worthwhile all day.

After I have completed the books mentioned above I moved onto fiction from the Adult's section of the public library.  The place where the 'more complicated' books were.  This was great fun!  I read passionately from the following authors and many more...

No comments:

Post a Comment