Thursday, June 10, 2010

Rover Streetwise


Rover Streetwise
A recent aquisition, the Rover Streetwise has proven to be a pleasing car for me to drive.  I travel between Pretoria and Johannesburg on a daily basis and surprising as it may seem, the Streetwise takes some of the pain out of the trip.
  • It is not a high performance car. 
  • It has a very heavy clutch. 
  • Its torque range is not at all impressive.
  • Nobody wants to buy them.  Something to do with Rover not being around anymore?
BUT...
  • It is solid
  • It Feels safe
  • When you are in its good torque range it feels good
  • It cruises well
  • It is very economical!
It seems like the longer I have it the more economical it becomes!  I start with just under 7 litres per 100 kilometers.  It has dropped consistently to where my last tank full of diesel was a mere 5.54 litres per 100 kilometers!  Itravel about 750 kilometers on a tank of diesel and that is on a mix of about 30% city driving.

I dont think my old BMW 325TDS had consumption as good as that.  It came close though.  The BMW had


  • Much better performance






  • fantastic torque range






  • easy to drive






  • solid






  • safe






  • reliable - excepting for the times it had a short circuit  that BMW could not find until I traded it in for a new 735i




  • cheap to run - because of the motorplan





  • The only car I have had that comes close to these two in economy (and I have had many cars) was another old BMW Cheetah 1800.  It was
    • Basic
    • easy to service
    • easy to understand
    • had a clutch that had seen better days
    • paint was well oxidized
    BUT...
    • I travelled all the way from Johannesburg to Durban and travelled around in Durban for a week before filling up.  It was a consumption of between 4 and 4.5 litres per 100 km.
    • I don't think I exceed 80km/hour though!  My father seemed to think it was a good speed and he was driving with me!
    • It was my second car- my first had been totalled in a head-on collision after I had owned it for about 6 months.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment